May 15, 2006

Lost in Moby

I do love Moby's music. His music makes me feel lost. One of my best friend ever told me that I seemed like a psycho for liking that kind of music.
Having a big apreciation to Moby's music, in his opinion, seemed just like i was trying not to be me !!! Hmmm, perhaps I am a psycho...perhaps i am not the person as people see, who knows...

The first time i recognized Moby songs was from movie 'The beach'. As the theme song, "Porcelain" sounds so convinient and it seems to be a trancient song in my ears.
It could bring me to somewhere that i never knew where it was...Although he was recognized as a famous techno DJ, "Porcelain" considered as New Age genre type of music.

And then, one day, I saw his latest CD album (that time), "Hotel", and I bought it ( pirates, of course...). Surprisingly, i like all songs in that album.
Some tracks, like Raining Again, Beautiful, and Where You End, are full of beat. But some tracks, like Love Should, Hotel, Slipping Away and Temptation, are having a melodious slow beat.

Also, once, a friend ever told me that in her opinion most of Moby's music ( i prefer to say his songs as music because more that half of his tracks are only electronized music) creates emptiness in your feeling.

To be honest, she's damn right, cause i feel the same with most of his musics. In Moby's, sometimes, I can feel the emptiness, worries, a not totally delightfulness, euforia, a bitchy feeling, a desperate measurement in a complex mix heart situation, deeply sadness, and of course, psychotic emotion.

"Love Should" can make me feel a broken hearted (even in fact I don't), "Go" make me feel that The world is a giant discotheque (even I am a geek who don't like that kind of place) that move around and round. "Anthem" which is suppossed to be a sad song, in fact, bring a sense of hipersadness that make me fly unconciousness. And so many feelings that come from his musics...

One thing that I like from Moby's music that he never keep the same type of beat in each of his track. All the songs are quiete different in rythm, genre and the beat ( yea yea, Moby plays a lot with the beat. FYI, he is a DJ...beat is his soul...)

I believe a good musician usually can bring people to a spesific moody situation. And for that criteria, Moby, in my opinion, do a lot of efforts in maintaining his musics as a trance agents of mood.

Then I finally knew a lot his songs that makes me setting my heart to his music. I think this guy is a genius in what he did. At least, he can make me feel lost in his musics. What a Moby...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love Moby ;) i can't describe the music but i can describe my feeling when listening to it: peaceful and dreamy.

Lavinia said...

Very nice text :) Love Moby's music too - few song in particular :) Love the way you ve write about it!